I don't even have to tell you that 2020 was a real downer of a year. Now that we've left it behind and walked into 2021, let's figure out how to fall in love with our own lives again no matter what this new year brings.
Loving your life has more to do with your state of mind than your actual circumstances. I bet you know someone who's annoyingly chipper most of the time, no matter what's happening around them, but I'm not talking about that here. What I'm really talking about is how to be content despite your circumstances. A few legends of the American West had something to say about it, too. So, read on:
- Don't waste your time trying not to be afraid. There will always be something you're afraid of. The secret of a happy life is to do that thing you're afraid of doing despite being afraid. John Wayne said it best, "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." So, choose courage this year.
- Learn to take compliments simply and without complication. You don't need to do anything to "deserve" a compliment. A simple, "thank you" goes a long way. Nobody ever pays you any compliments? Take advice from Mark Twain: "When you cannot get a compliment in any other way, pay yourself one."
- Accept that every now and then you're going to have a bad day (or a bad week), and give yourself permission to feel bummed out or even sad. As someone once said, "Just 'cause trouble comes visiting doesn't mean you have to offer it a place to sit down."
- Make sure you have a set of beliefs and/or rules to live by. That way, your decisions will be easier to make and your life burdens easier to carry. If you don't believe in something, you'll fall for anything. Even John Wayne would agree with this one as he once said, "A men's gotta have a code, a creed to live by." Make no mistake, this applies to women too.
- Develop an appreciation and admiration for your surroundings, especially if you live in the country. You can't be mad or sad while you're admiring a beautiful sunset. As Laura Ingalls Wilder put it, "If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." You'll find beauty even in whatever hardship you may be going through at the moment.
So, with all of this in mind, here's to the new year and whatever it may bring! We've all been through a ringer. Now, let's fall in love with life again!
Oh, and one more thing that will make you feel better about yourself and your life: a bit of cowgirl bling. We've got a great selection to choose from in Buckaroo Bling online shop. Check out our best sellers below.