When people learn I live in Montana, most of them automatically assume I spend my winters skiing. The truth is, I've never stepped on a pair of skis in my life, and I'm not about to try now. So what can a person do during a long Montana winter if (s)he doesn't ski? Actually, there are quite a few fun snow activities one can enjoy without those planks and poles.
- Go for a walk in the snow. If you enjoy walking in nature during the warmer months of the year, you'll enjoy walking through a hushed, snowy landscape. Just make sure you're properly dressed in warm layers, have a good pair of lug sole boots, a warm hat and a pair of gloves, and you'll be just fine. You can even take your dog with you, just make sure his chest is protected from the cold and moisture, especially if his fur is either naturally thin and short or fine and long (Chihuahuas or Setters)2
- Take a sleigh ride. Check out guest ranches in your area. I bet at least one of them would offer horse drawn sleigh rides during the snowy months. If you're in the Flathead Valley, check out Bar W Guest Ranch near Whitefish. Again, dressing appropriately is a must if you really want to enjoy your adventure.
- Learn how to mush. Dog sleds are not reserved just for Alaska. We've got plenty of dog sledding outfits in the Treasure State too. If you're in the Flathead Lake neighborhood, check out Base Camp Bigfork for all your dog sledding needs.
- Go snowshoeing. True, this is a variation on suggestion number 1 above, but it will take you places where your two small feet alone can't, such as deeper snow and wilderness areas. You can even snowshoe in Glacier National Park.
- Have a good, old-fashioned snowball fight. You'll get your blood pumping, and you'll also remember how much you enjoyed winter months when you were a kid. No one to throw snowballs at? Get out and build a snowman.
Now that you know how much fun a Montana winter can be, go have yourself some snowy adventures. May the rest of your winter months be filled with joy!
Want to see what's happening in the Buckaroo Bling studio this month? Make sure to sign up for our weekly emails. You'll be the first to see the new designs and find out about any events or specials.